Greek dog names sound really unique and are great for just about any dog, small, big, tough, gentle, male or female. From ancient Greece to modern Greece, Greek names are beautiful and recognizable.
It is not hard to think of awesome Greek dog names since Greece is one of the oldest country in the world. Everyone knows about ancient Greece and their history. Greek mythology is probably the most popular mythology in the world. A lot of words we use today in majority of languages are coming from Greek alphabet.
We breakdown Greek dog names in several categories so you can find the perfect Greek name for your puppy.
Male Greek Dog Names – Greek Gods
As we mentioned earlier, Greek gods and goddesses are widely popular and everyone loves those names. Why not use these Greek gods names as Greek dog names. Here are some of the most suited names for boy dogs.
- Aeolus – God of air and winds
- Ares – God of war
- Atlas – Titan condemned by Zeus to carry the world on his back after the Titans lost the war.
- Cronos – God of time
- Hades – God of the dead
- Helios – God of the sun
- Hermes – God of trades, thieves and travelers
- Hypnos – God of sleep
- Kratos – God of strength
- Morpheus – God of dreams
- Oceanus – Titan god of the ocean
- Pan – God of nature
- Plutus – God of wealth
- Poseidon – God of the sea
- Prometheus – Titan god of council and a god of fire, creator of mankind
- Zelus – God of dedication and envy
- Zeus – King of the Gods, god of sky, lightning and thunder
Female Greek Dog Names – Greek Goddesses
Here are strong and beautiful Greek goddesses names perfect to use as Greek dog names for girls.
- Amphitrite – Goddess of the sea
- Apate – Goddess of gardens, flowers and swamps
- Aphrodite – Goddess of love and beauty
- Artemis – Goddess of the hunt
- Athena – Goddess of wisdom
- Bia – Goddess of force
- Demeter – Goddess of agriculture and fertility
- Eileithyia – Goddess of childbirth
- Eos – Titan goddess of the dawn
- Gaia – The primal Greek goddess of the Earth
- Harmonia – Goddess of harmony and concord
- Hebe – Goddess of eternal youth
- Hecate – Goddess of magic
- Hera – Goddess of goddesses, women, and marriage
- Hestia – Goddess of hearth, home, family
- Hygea – Goddess of good health, cleanliness
- Metis – Titan goddess of wisdom
- Nemesis – Goddess of retribution
- Nike – Goddess of victory
- Persefone – Goddess of vegetation and spring
- Pheme – Goddess of fame, gossip
- Selene – Goddess of the Moon
- Tyche – Goddess of prosperity and fortune
Greek Dog Names Inspired By The Creatures From Greek Mythology
Names of the monsters and creatures from Greek mythology are great to use as Greek dog names. Here are some of the best known names.
- Centaur – Half-man half-horse creature
- Orthrus – Two-headed hound that lived with giants
- Cerberus – Three-headed dog that guarded the gates of the Underworld
- Charybdis – A sea monster that took the shape of a giant whirlpool
- Chimera – A giant monster that was a combination of many animals
- Cyclopes – One-eyed giant
- Typhon – Father of All Monsters
- Echidna – Mother of All Monsters
- Hydra – A giant snake with nine heads
- Medusa – Creature with woman’s face, but snakes for hair. Anyone who looked into Medusa’s eyes would be turned to stone
- Minotaur – Creature with the head of bull and the body of a man
- Pegasus – A beautiful white horse that could fly
- Scylla – Sea monster with 12 long tentacle legs and 6 dog-like heads
- Sphinx – Creature with the body of a lion, the head of a woman, and the wings of an eagle
- Ladon – A dragon that guarded the golden apples in the Garden of the Hesperides
Heroic Boy Greek Dog Names Inspired By Greek Heroes
Greek heroes are well known characters and names everywhere in the world. Maybe you’ll find a perfect Greek dog name from these names.
- Heracles or Hercules
Girl Greek Dog Names Inspired By Women In Greek Myths
Just like the famous male Greek heroes, there were quite a few little less known extraordinary, strong women in ancient Greece. Their names would sound as great Greek dog names for girls.
Greek Dog Names From Greek Alphabet
Greek alphabet is widely known, so using the alphabet as a dog name will sound awesome. Here is the alphabet that could be used as Greek dog names:
Greek Dog Names Philosophers
Is your puppy a philosopher? These Greek philosopher names will sound great.
- Agrippa the Skeptic
Still haven’t find a perfect name for your puppy, try these: