Big Dog Names – When you are picking a name for a big dog, you would be well-advised to choose one that perfectly describes his or her physique.
There are quite a number of fancy and sweet names to pick from. Here is all you need to know about big dog names.
Big Dog Names With Meanings
- Animal – This viscous animal will scare you to death – Better stay away!
- Barricade – This dog is gigantic! – It can be a good guard during night time.
- Belly – An obese dog with a big belly.
- Big – Just like its name, this dog is very big.
- Biggie – A bigger dog than Big.
- Big em’s – He is the dog that is scary at first sight but is very friendly.
- Big boy – A humongous black dog that will become your best friend.
- Big Mac – A delicious meal in McDonalds.
- Big Mama – A female dog which you do not like to startle.
- Big Red – A big red dog.
- Big Top – A dog that has a big head.
- Bogart – A stinky dog which has nails that is never trimmed.
- Cartman – Just like Eric Cartman in South park, this dog is very fat and loves to fart.
- Chubbs – A chubby dog that is very cute.
- Chubby – A ver chubby dog that has a great sense of humor.
- Chubsey – He is a dog that can be used for work.
- Chubrock – A dog that loves to stare at rocks.
- Chunks – This dog has an attitude of being dependent to others.
- Conan – A very strong dog and at the same time humongous – It can tackle you without any hesitation.
- Condor – Condor is the name for two species of New World vultures.
- Congo – Did you know that the Republic of Congo is a state in Central Africa?
- Crunk – A big dog that is very stupid.
- Cyclone – He loves to spin like a cyclone.
- Cyrano – A very poor dog that has poor eyesight despite of its physical appearance.
- Diesel – This dog never runs out of energy.
- Dragon – The breath of this dog can make you sleep.
- Dumpling –A dog that loves Chinese food.
- Epic – This dog is very funny in the sense of being lonely.
- Flubb – He is a very, very fat dog.
- Flubby – A cute variant of Flubb.
- Fatso – A fat dog that has a bigg butt.
- Fattie – A fat dog that usually sleeps.
- Frankenstein –Frankenstein is a novel about a failed monster experiment that produced a monster.
- Geela – Geela is a dog that is very honest except from food.
- Goliath – Its name is inspired form Goliath the giant.
- Godzilla – Godzilla is a monster that destroys cities.
- Hannable – A very good looking dog that attracts ladies.
- Jaws – Its jaws is unbelievable.
- Jumbo – Jumbo is a white dog that is very big but short – Others call him “Mumbo”.
- Kong – King Kong is a giant movie monster resembling a gorilla, that has appeared in several movies.
- Macro – A red dog that goes to the yard and dig.
- Magnum – A dog that has killed somebody.
- Maximus – A very rich dog.
- Maxi – Maxi Lopez is an Argentinian footballer who plays in Europe.
- Mighty – He is the mightiest dog.
- Moby – The name is inspired from Moby Dick.
- Mondo – Mondo is a character in the Battle Arena Toshinden fighting game series.
- Pounder – This dog weighs a lot – Better give her a diet.
- Quake – The floor vibrates whenever this dog runs.
- Rambo – This dog is very hardcore and at the same time furious.
- Reef – Reef is the type of dog that is very big but silent.
- Shamoo – A red dog that has a very itchy nose – He is cute.
- Sumo – A Japanese dog that is big – You’ll never win from a sumo match with this dog!
- Tank – This dog has the characteristic of a tank – Many are afraid with him.
- Thunder – A scary dog that has a very loud growl – Beware!
- Titan – A big dog that is very powerful.
- Tornado – A dog that spins a lot.
- Train – This dog loves to train his abilities.
- Tree – He is as mighty as a tree.
- Tremor – Tremble before him! – You will see his black eyes.
- Wookie – Wookie is a hairy and tall alien species in Star Wars.
Most Popular Big Dog Names
Some of the most popular big dog names include the following:
As you can see, all of these names have a bearing to the dog’s size. Most are also gender- neutral, which means that they can be used for both male and female big dogs. They are also short and simple to pronounce.
Female Big Dog Names
If your female dog exudes strength and fierceness, here is a list of names that would be perfect for her:
- Katniss (As in Katniss Everdeen)
- Midnight (Perfect if she is black)
All of these names depict strength and toughness. Since some are derived from heroes and goddesses, they also depict grace and class. You couldn’t give your female big dog a better present than a regal name.
Male Big Dog Names
There are also myriad big dog names that are perfectly suited for a large, tough male dog. Some of them include the following:
These names are ideal for a male dog that inspires fear more than anything else. If you feel completely safe in the company of your big male dog, then you should seriously consider picking a name from those listed above.
Funny Female Big Dog Names
If your dog often sends you into fits of hysterical laughter thanks to her funny behaviour, here is a list of funny female big dog names to pick hers from.
- Teeny (See the irony?)
- Baby/ Babe
- Large Marge
Funny Male Big Dog Names
If you want to have some fun naming your big male dog, here are some clever yet hilarious names to choose from.
- The Hound (From Game of Thrones)
- The Mountain (Also from Game of Thrones)
- Chuck Norris
The fun in these names is hard to miss and you will most likely be inclined to laugh or smile every time you call out your dog’s name. If you liked these names you could check our nerdy dog names too as there are some really fun dog name ides there.
What is a Big Dog?
There are big dogs, and then there are gigantic dogs. Big dog names will be suitable for a dog that belongs to either category. A dog that weighs about 60- 90 pounds qualifies as a big dog, while one that weighs over this can be positively identified as gigantic. Some of the breeds that are best known for producing large dogs include St. Bernard, Labrador Retriever, Great Dane, Newfoundland, Mastiff and Great Pyrenees.
How to Choose a Name for Your Big Dog
When it comes to choosing dog names, there are three main rules you need to follow. First, the name ought to be easy on the tongue. Not only will you have an easy time pronouncing it, but research also shows that dogs respond better to short names that are easy to pronounce.
Secondly, you should be able to picture yourself calling your dog that name every single day. This means that the name must not be embarrassing in any way, and it should have a positive feel to it. Finally, pick a name that suits your dog’s personality. Sure, your dog might be large, but not necessarily intimidating. He might just be the sweetest creature on earth and calling him There is no doubt that the Mountain would be a grave injustice to him.
Choosing a big dog name need not be difficult. There are countless combinations of names to choose from. Some of them depict your dog as fun and sweet, while others show the steel and toughness in him. Just make sure that you choose an appropriate name that suits your dog’s personality and you will be good to go.