If you are searching for African dog names, you are in the right spot. African names are strong and ancient.
There is something iconic with these names and everyone can relate to these names. Giving your dog an African name is a great choice.
Let’s take a look at some male, female and unisex African dog names.
- Male African Dog Names
- Female African Dog Names
- Unisex African Dog Names
- South African Male Dog Names
- Female South African Dog Names
- Strong Male African Dog Names
- Female Strong African Dog Names
- Unique African Dog Names
- African Dog Names After The African Continent
- African Dog Names Inspired by Nature
Male African Dog Names
Short masculine African dog names are the perfect choice for male dogs if you want something simple and straightforward. They’re easy to remember and pronounce, but still have a lot of character behind them. Here are some of our favorites:
Female African Dog Names
Girls with African names should be proud and strong, gentle and beautiful. Here are girl African names.
Unisex African Dog Names
These African names are suitable both for female and male puppies.
South African Male Dog Names
Here South African names for male dogs with meanings.
- Ayize – let it happen
- Chihambuane – sweet potatoes
- Chuguel – sugar
- Dingane – one who is searching
- Mpumelele – success
- Mthuthuzeli – comforter
- Nkosi – ruler
- Nolizwe – the nation
- Nonceba – mercy
- Paki – a witness
- Sigidi – one thousand
- Sipho – gift
- Themba – hope
- Uuka – arise
Female South African Dog Names
Here are strong female South African dog names.
- Mafuane – soil
- Mandisa – sweet
- Nkosazana – princess
- Nobanzi – width
- Nomalanga – sunny
- Nombeko – respect
- Nomble – beauty
- Nomuula – rain
- Nonyameko – patience
- Serafina – burning passion
- Siboniso – a sign
- Siphiwe – we were given
- Thandiwe – loving one
Strong Male African Dog Names
For tough male dogs, here the male strong African dog names.
- Zende – strong firm
- Zuberi – strong
- Zaid – increase growth
- Ezeoha – a peoples king
- Eze – king
- Asim – protector defender
- Akinsanya – the hero avenges
- Azaan – strength
- Balogun – a general
- Balondemu – the chosen one
- Damu – blood
- Githinji – a butcher
- Gahiji – the hunter
- Gamba – warrior
- Lisimba – lion
- Lutalo – warrior
- Fenyang – conqueror
- Fumo – majesty
- Haidar – strong stout
- Ita – a war raid
- Jemadari – army general
- Kagai – the divider
Kanoro – sharpens the sword
Female Strong African Dog Names
For strong female dogs, these are the strongest Female African names.
- Zuhura – brightness Venus
- Zarina – golden
- Zamzam – holy spring
- Zarifa – graceful
- Etana – strong one
- Amira – princess
- Abla – a wild rose
- Bolade – honor arrives
- Durah – pearl
- Gimbya – princess
- Lisha – mysterious
- Ina – mother of the rains
- Kinah – willful
Unique African Dog Names
If you’re looking for a unique African dog names, these are some of our favorites:
- Abasi – This is a great name for a dog who is strong and powerful but also kind-hearted. It means “pride” in Ghanaian culture.
- Akala – This is another good name for a strong, loyal dog who loves his family very much. It means “friendship” in Ghanaian culture.
- Amadou – This is an interesting name that means “happiness” in Mali’s language called Bambara. The name would be perfect for an energetic puppy who loves running around outside with his owner!
- Azizi – This beautiful name means “affectionate” in Swahili culture. It would be great for any African puppy who loves being around his human family members!
- Badru – This is an interesting name that means “fortune” in Ghanaian culture. It would be perfect for a dog who always seems to win at hide-and-seek!
- Basir – This beautiful name means “intelligence” in Ethiopian culture. It would be great for any puppy who likes to solve puzzles!
- Kwesi – This is a great name for any African puppy who has a lot of pride, like the people in Ghanaian culture. It means “pride” in Ghanaian language.
- Kwaku – This beautiful name means “born on Monday” in Ghanaian culture. It would be perfect for an energetic puppy who loves running around outside with his owner!
- Abeke – This is the name of an Ethiopian city on the shores of Lake Tana. It means “peace.” A good name for a laid-back dog who enjoys long walks around the neighborhood.
- Aboleto – An African name meaning “gift.” This would be an appropriate name for anyone who gives presents to their friends and family members on holidays or birthdays.
- Babu – This is another Ethiopian name meaning “my father.” It’s also sometimes spelled Babou or Baboo. A good choice if you want something similar in sound to “buddy” or “pup,” but want something more exotic sounding than those two terms.
- Baka – A Bantu word meaning “leopard” or “hunter.” This could be a good name for a dog with a leopard-print coat or for someone who enjoys hunting.
- Bahati – A Swahili word meaning “to write.” Perfect dog name for a smart puppy.
- Bamba – This name means “one who is loved” in Swahili. It’s a good choice for a dog who has a lot of friends and family members who love them dearly.
- Bambi – A Swahili word meaning “lion.” This name is perfect for a dog with a fierce personality, or to honor your favorite Disney character.
- Balambo – An African name meaning “one who has a big heart.”
African Dog Names After The African Continent
Many people choose to name their pet after an African country, city or landmark. This is a great idea for anyone who loves Africa and wants to show their pride for their heritage.
If you’re looking for African dog names, we’ve got you covered! Here are some ideas for naming your new pup after their continent of origin:
- Safari – A great name inspired by the safari tours in South Africa.
- Kalahari – Named after the desert in Namibia where lions roam free.
- Kruger – A popular South African park where many endangered species live happily together in harmony.
- Botswana – Named after Botswana’s beautiful national parks and wildlife reserves.
- Kenya – Named after Kenya’s stunning landscapes and wildlife reserves where safaris take place daily!
- Tanzania – Named after the country’s wellknown safari parks and wildlife reserves.
- Zimbabwe – Named after the country’s beautiful landscapes and wildlife reserves.
- Zanzibar – Named after the island of Zanzibar in Tanzania where many famous African explorers have set sail.
- Kilimanjaro – Named after Tanzania’s highest mountain, which stands at 19,341 ft!
- Namibia – Named after the country’s desert landscapes that are home to many different species of animals.
- Zambia – Named after Zambia’s vast wildlife reserves that are home to many endangered species of animals.
- Rwanda – Named after the capital city in Rwanda where many of Africa’s most precious animals reside.
- Nairobi – Named after Kenya’s capital city where many of Africa’s most precious animals reside.
- Malawi – Named after the country’s beautiful mountain ranges that are home to many different species of wildlife.
- Mozambique – Named after the country’s vast fishing reserves where you can see some of Africa’s most beautiful marine life.
- Swaziland – Named after the country’s beautiful mountain ranges that are home to many different species of wildlife.
- Uganda – Named after the capital city in Uganda where many of Africa’s most precious animals reside.
African Dog Names Inspired by Nature
The source of African names is mostly from the African folklore and legends. The names are derived from animals and plants, which are common in Africa.
African dog names are unique and special. They are also so endearing that you can’t help but fall in love with them. Here we have listed some of the best African dog names for your furry friend.
- Akoda – This name means firefly in Swahili language. It will be a great choice for those who want their dog to be as bright as a firefly!
- Ajani – This name means sky in Zulu language, so if you want your dog to be like a sky then go ahead with this name!
- Amisi – This name means lion cub in Yoruba language, so if you want your dog to roar like a lion then go ahead with this name!
- Ayaana – This name means butterfly in Somali language, so if you want your dog to be as colorful as butterflies then go ahead with this name!
- Azizi – This name means lion in Swahili language, so if you want your dog to roar like a lion then go ahead with this name!
- Bamba – This name means rain in Swahili language, so if you want your dog to be as refreshing as a rain then go ahead with this name!
- Chichi – This name means puppy in Yoruba language, so if you want your dog to be cute like a puppy then go ahead with this name!
- Dala – This name means “Sun”. The origin of this name comes from Ethiopia.
- Tala – This name means “Moon”. The origin of this name comes from Ethiopia.
African Dog Names Conclusion
These are our African dog names with different categories for female, male dogs and names that could be used for both genders. Here are more naming ideas: