Tri colored dog names can be difficult to find, but they are out there.
If you’re looking for name ideas for your tricolor fur friend, this guide is the perfect place to start! We have compiled a list of creative unique tricolor names to match your dog’s unique pattern.
Tricolor dogs are often referred to as tri colored or tricolor. They have three colors in their fur: white, black and brown (and sometimes red). Tri color fur is very common in many breeds of dogs, such as the Yorkshire terrier and Maltese.
Let’s dive into the list of tricolor dog names, complete with descriptions to help you make an informed choice!
Female Tricolor Dog Names
- Amber: A precious gem that is warm, bright, and perfect for a dog with a golden hue in her tri-color coat.
- Marble: A name that matches perfectly with a dog that has multiple colors arranged beautifully like a marble piece.
- Cocoa: Ideal for a sweet, brown tri-color pup.
- Patches: This name is fitting for a pet with distinct sections of different colors.
- Mosaic: A wonderful representation of a tricolor coat, much like pieces of a mosaic.
- Sundae: Great name for a doggy whose colors are as delightful as this beloved ice cream treat.
- Twilight: Represents a mix of colors, just like the twilight sky, a great name for a dog with similar hues.
- Calico: A term used to define a tri-color pattern, particularly in cats, but can also describe a tri-color dog.
- Smudge: Perfect for a doggy with colors that look like smudged paint.
- Berry: Signifies a combination of colors, just like various types of berries.
- Autumn: Reflects the rich, varied colors of the autumn season.
- Misty: Ideal for a dog with a soft, cloud-like blending of colors.
- Toffee: A fun, sweet name that can describe a range of tones in the dog’s coat.
- Blossom: A name that signifies the diverse color palette of blooming flowers, perfect for a colorful, lively dog.
- Opal: Opals are multi-colored gemstones, making this a fitting name for a tri-color dog.
- Precious: A suitable name for a tri-color dog, whose rare and unique color combination is indeed precious.
- Gemma: Meaning “gem,” this name is perfect for a tri-color dog with sparkling personality and appearance.
- Gingersnap: Great for a dog with a spicy mix of colors.
- Ebony: A strong and beautiful choice if your dog has predominantly black with other colors in her coat.
- Streak: A fun name that complements a dog with streaks of different shades.
- Cinnamon: Perfect for a dog with a warm mix of brown and white in her fur.
- Stripes: An ideal name for a dog with distinct stripes or patterns of three colors.
- Sundance: Apt for a happy, lively dog with shades of a bright, sunny day.
- Jewel: Great for a dog with a variety of rich, sparkling colors in her coat.
- Harlequin: A name that evokes an image of varied, bold colors, ideal for a boldly patterned tri-color dog.
- Daisy: Just as daisies come in various colors, this name suits multi-colored dogs.
- Flicker: Perfect for a dog with a coat that appears to flicker with multiple hues.
- Confetti: If your dog’s colors remind you of a joyous throw of confetti, then this is your pick.
- Monet: Inspired by the famed artist known for beautifully blended colors, great for a dog with a fusion of shades.
- Sundrop: Ideal for a dog with a golden or sunny color mixed into her tri-color coat.
These female tri color dog names should give you a great starting point in your quest to find the perfect name that fits both your dog’s colors and personality.
Male Tricolor Dog Names
- Chai: A great name for a dog with a coat that has a blend of warm hues reminiscent of chai tea.
- Pebble: If your dog’s fur contains an array of colors similar to a river pebble, this could be the perfect name.
- Puzzle: Ideal for a dog with a mix of colors that seem to be arranged like a jigsaw puzzle.
- Inkwell: This might be the perfect moniker for a tricolor dog with some parts as dark as ink.
- Scorch: Ideal for a tricolor dog with a fiery or intense color scheme.
- Nimbus: A fitting name for a pooch with a cloud-like mix of soft colors.
- Stormy: For a tricolor dog with a dramatic, swirling mix of colors that evoke the look of a storm.
- Bandit: This name is well-suited for a dog with a unique mask-like pattern created by their tricolor coat.
- Caramel: Ideal for a tricolor dog with shades of caramel mixed in with their fur.
- Rebel: A bold and adventurous name for a lively, spirited tricolor dog.
- Freckles: Perfect for a tricolor dog whose coat has a freckle-like pattern, with spots and patches distributed in various ways.
- Whiskey: A strong and flavorful name for a dog with rich, intoxicating hues in their tricolor coat.
- Captain: A commanding name, ideal for a tricolor dog who takes charge and leads the way.
- Picasso: A great fit for a tricolor pet with an abstract or unique arrangement of colors akin to Picasso’s paintings.
- Tux: This name is perfect for a tricolor dog with black and white patches that resemble a tuxedo.
- Houdini: A magical name for an elusive, mysterious tricolor canine.
- Pollock: For a tricolor dog with a coat pattern similar to the well-known splatter paintings by artist Jackson Pollock.
- Snickers: An excellent choice for a pooch with a mix of brown, white, and caramel colors, much like the Snickers chocolate bar.
- Stetson: A stylish name inspired by the popular western hat brand, ideal for a tricolor dog with a distinctive and fashionable appearance.
- Nightfall: A name evoking the soft colors and shadows of dusk, perfect for a tricolor dog with a mix of dark and light shades.
- Monty: A classic and charming name that would suit any tricolor dog with a bit of elegance and distinction.
- Renoir: Inspired by the famous impressionist painter, this name is ideal for a tricolor dog with a soft and pleasing blend of colors.
- Marley: A relaxed and warm name, perfect for a laid-back tricolor dog with a blend of earthy tones.
These male tri color dog names are just a starting point for inspiration. As you go through the list, remember to consider your dog’s personality, unique coat pattern, and your own preferences when deciding on the perfect tricolor name for your male dog.
Unique Tricolor Dog Names
- Mocha: Perfect for a dog with a color mix resembling a mocha latte.
- Rusty: A fitting name for a dog with rusty red or brown in their tricolor coat.
- Blaze: Suited for a dog with a bright, fiery red color in their coat.
- Ziggy: A cool name for a tricolor dog with zigzag patterns or lines of different colors.
- Sorbet: Great for a dog with a coat combination reminiscent of cool, fruity sorbet.
- Galaxy: Ideal for a dog with a coat that appears like a blended array of cosmic colors.
- Kaleidoscope: A wonderful name for a dog with a hypnotizing mix of colors.
- Salsa: Fun and playful, just like the Latin dance and the mix of ingredients that make up the condiment, fitting for a vibrant, multi-hued dog.
- Camouflage: This name suits a tricolor dog with a pattern that appears as though it is blending into nature.
- Lava: Perfect for a dog with fiery reds and deep blacks that mimic the flow of lava.
- Oreo: Great for a tricolor dog with white and black colors mixed with another hue.
- Swirl: This name is suitable for a dog with beautiful swirling patterns of multiple shades.
- Reeses: Just like the peanut butter cup, this is a fun name for a dog with a mix of browns.
- Sprinkles: Inspired by the colorful cake topping, this name is perfect for a dog with a multitude of colors.
- Jackson: Named after the famous painter, Jackson Pollock, who was known for his colorful splatter paintings.
- Tie-Dye: A name inspired by the trippy patterns of this color technique from the 60s, a great option for a colorful dog.
- Stardust: This name is perfect for a tricolor dog with a blend of cosmic, magical hues.
- Thistle: A beautiful flower that comes in various shades, suitable for a similarly hued dog.
- Firework: A name inspired by the brilliant blasts of color in the night sky, fitting for a dog with an explosive array of hues.
- Ribbon: This name can be a reminder of the intertwined, colorful strands in a tricolor dog’s coat.
- Aquarelle: French for ‘watercolor,’ this artistic name suits a dog with layers of soft colors in their coat.
- Merlin: A name that embodies the magic and mystique of a colorful, enchanting dog.
- Rorschach: A name inspired by the symmetrical inkblot patterns created by Swiss psychiatrist Hermann Rorschach, great for a dog with unique patterns and shapes.
- Wisp: Perfect for a tricolor dog with a wisp-like blend of colors throughout their fur.
- Graphite: A name that highlights the grayish-black tones seen in the depths of graphite, suitable for a dog with a similar coloration.
- Pixel: Ideal for a dog whose tricolor coat looks like a collection of tiny, colorful pixels.
- Graffiti: A unique and artistic name that describes a tricolor dog with a coat that seems painted on like graffiti.
- Turkish Delight: Sweet and flavorful, this name is great for a dog with a similarly delightful mix of colors.
- Tarcză: The Romanian word for ‘shield,’ this name suits dogs with intriguing patterns that may resemble a colorful shield.
- Sunset: A name inspired by the colors that paint the sky during the golden hour, an apt choice for a dog with similar shades.
These unique tri color dog names should provide you with plenty of inspiration to find the perfect moniker that reflects your pet’s exceptional colors and personality.
Funny Tricolor Dog Names
- Trifecta: A playful name for a dog with the ultimate combination of three colors.
- Picassobark: A humorous twist on the artist’s name, ideal for a dog with an abstract coat of colors.
- Wookie: A fun name inspired by the multicolored, furry Star Wars character Chewbacca.
- Furgonomics: A clever mashup of ‘fur’ and ‘ergonomics,’ for a seamlessly patterned pup.
- Hairold: A hilarious nod to the multi-shaded hairstyles of the 70s and 80s.
- Trois Fur-à: A playful spin on the French term “trois mousquetaires” (three musketeers).
- Chewbarka: A twist on the Star Wars character’s name, perfect for a furry, multi-colored dog.
- Neapawlitano: A fun play on Neapolitan ice cream, with its combination of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
- Furricane: Humorous name for a tricolor dog with a whirlwind pattern.
- Fur-ensic: Playing off the term ‘forensic,’ this name suits dogs with an intricate tri-colored coat.
- Sherflock: A pun on Sherlock Holmes, perfect for a multi-layered detective-like mystery of colors in a dog’s coat.
- Tripawd: A witty name for a tricolor dog with three different colored paws.
- Wagdamantium: A funny blend of ‘wag’ and ‘adamantium,’ the fictional metal alloy from X-Men comics.
- Fur Real: A humorous name for a dog with an authentically splendid array of coat colors.
- Rainbark: A playful twist on ‘rainbow’ suitable for dogs with a rich blend of colors.
- Sir Fur-ence: A witty spin on the name ‘Sir Lawrence,’ implying regal bearing and multi-color style.
- Van Gogh-fetch: A fun art-inspired name for a tricolor dog, playing on the famous artist, Van Gogh.
- Shady Paws: For a dog with paws of differing colors, this name is humorously fitting.
- Fleece Witherspoon: A witty name, riffing on the actress’s name, for a curly-coated tricolor pup.
- Pawcasso: A humorous play on the name Picasso, great for a dog with artistic, vibrant colors.
- Fur-cus Pocus: A magical and funny name twist, perfect for a dog with a mesmerizing blend of shades.
- Sherpawd Blend: A fun take on Shepherd’s Pie, for a tricolor dog with a mix of colors like ingredients.
- Furdinand: A play on the name Ferdinand with ‘fur’ as the focus, for a regal-looking, multi-colored pup.
- Furbalicious: A playful and humorous name for a dog with a fabulous mix of colors.
- Wigglebum: A silly name for a happy, wiggly dog with a multi-colored behind.
- Arf-nold: Mashing ‘arf’ and ‘Arnold,’ it’s a fantastic name for a tricolor pup with a bold and strong appearance.
- Tweenkie Paws: A spin on the snack cake Twinkie, this name is great for a tri-toned dog with creamy colors.
- Meta-fur-phosis: A twist on metamorphosis, for a dog with colors that seem to go through a magical transformation.
- Whispawer: A funny take on the word ‘whisperer’, for a canine who speaks the language of the many fur colors.
- Colorfur: A cute and lighthearted name for a tricolor dog with a vibrantly colorful coat.
These funny tricolor dog names should bring a smile to your face and help you find the perfect, humorous name for your unique and colorful pup.
Tips for Choosing a Tri Color Dog Name
Here are few helpful tips to make sure you choose the perfect name:
Observe Your Dog’s Personality: Take note of your dog’s personality and how that might relate to their coloration. A playful, mischievous dog might be better suited to a cheeky name like “Puzzle,” while a calm, gentle dog might fit better with “Autumn.”
Consider the Coat Pattern: The pattern of your dog’s coat can inspire many creative names. Are the colors blended, or do they appear as distinct patches? Observe the patterns and markings unique to your dog when choosing a name.
Keep It Short and Simple: Choose a name that is easy to pronounce and not too long. Shorter names with one or two syllables are usually easier for your dog to learn and respond to.
Test the Name: Before settling on a name, try calling it out loud several times. See how it feels when you say it, and imagine calling your dog by that name in various situations.
Choose a Name Both You and Your Dog Will Love: Remember, the best name will resonate with both you and your four-legged friend, so take your time and find something that you’ll both be happy to hear every day.
To wrap up, choosing a tri-color dog name can be as much fun as it is challenging. Whether you draw inspiration from nature, art, or even your favorite drink, there’s bound to be a name that matches your dog’s colorful personality and beautiful coat. Remember, the best name will resonate with both you and your four-legged friend, so take your time and find something that you’ll both be happy to hear every day.